We are looking for a Production Technician to be involved in all areas of seed production at a hybrid seed company. You will perform any or all of the tasks associated with general plant operations and field activities. Responsibilities vary throughout the year, and may include crop production, detasseling, harvest, conditioning, packaging, or warehousing.
The Production Technician reports to the Plant Operations Manager and may supervise and train seasonal employees throughout the production operation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other responsibilities as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Interact and maintain a positive working relationship with growers, detasseling and roguing contractors, Field Inspectors, and Detasseling Machine Operators.
- Receive and process trucks hauling seed corn from the field for weighing and unloading.
- Oversee husk and sort operation.
- Operate dryer to dry seed corn ears within the prescribed safety, quality, and financial requirements.
- Organize and facilitate the shelling and storage of corn from bins in the dryer facility.
- Supply the Conditioning department with a constant supply of seed.
- Clean and size seed corn.
- Apply appropriate treatment to seed.
- Label, tag, bag and palletize seed corn.
- Enter inventory information into computer.
- Retag in-house seed.
- Re-bag backhaul (returned) seed.
- Organize, store, and maintain inventory of bulk and bagged seed utilizing electronic inventory system.
- Stage seed for shipment in warehouse.
- Schedule and dispatch vehicles for distributing seed to customers, and return of seed during backhaul.
- Perform regular and preventative maintenance of equipment in assigned areas
- Ensure that employees and equipment are utilized efficiently
- Minimize downtime in plant operations
- Supervise seasonal staff and schedule work.
- Required to work overtime hours including weekends and other shifts during seasonal peaks.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- The work environment is both outdoors and indoors – in hot, cold, wet and dry conditions.
- Exposure to pollen from corn plants during detasseling season.
- Normally does not work at heights above 8 feet, but is required to walk catwalk to top of dryer which is 30 feet high.
- The noise level is moderate for the majority of the job responsibilities.